Saturday, 14 January 2012

Salmon fillets with Dill and Balsamic Vinegar



I love seafood and fish. Here’s a wonderfully simple recipe that you can prepare after a day of hard work. It’s perfectly easy to prepare, healthy and very tasty.

Normally, I would have cooked my salmon fillets in a frying pan. If you prefer to prepare your fish this way, too, simply marinate the fillets in a preparation made of salt, pepper, dill and balsamic vinegar some hours before. Here, I will propose another preparation that does without the marinade (more convenient if you come back home from work a tad too late). As a matter of fact, I will bake my fillets in the oven; with a marinade, the balsamic vinegar wouldn’t caramelize but get burnt (and that’s really yikes!).

It’s difficult to say how much vinegar you should add. It depends on the quality of your vinegar. Most of the time, you and I, we will have bought a pale imitation of the real Aceto balsamico tradizionale (be it from Modena or from Reggio Emilia). You have to know that the traditional balsamic vinegar is an exceptional Italian product that will cost you half a fortune. The imitations are not too bad, though; they’re just a bit more sour and haven’t aged for twelve years in their wood barrels. As a rule, try a bit of your salmon and add some more vinegar if you don’t taste the sweet-sour, slightly caramelized flavour we aim to achieve here.

What you need: 
  • Salmon fillets (one per person, with skin) 
  • Dill 
  • Ground ginger 
  • Ground nutmeg 
  • Salt, pepper 
  • Balsamic vinegar 
  • Some drops of olive oil 
How to proceed: 
  • Put your fillets in an ovenproof plate (make sure they lie on the skin side). 
  • Add salt, pepper, a little bit of ground ginger, ground nutmeg and as much dill as you want (this time, make sure it’s on the upper side). Personally, I love dill, so I added rather a lot of it. 
  • Drizzle some drops of olive oil over the filets. 
  • Preheat your oven (220°C, 10 minutes), put the fillets in the oven. 
  • Cook for approx. 20 minutes. 
  • Pour some balsamic vinegar over the fillets, cook for another 5 minutes. 
You can serve your salmon fillets with potatoes (I admit to deep-frozen, fatless Pommes Dauphine that I baked in the oven – I told you: a weekday meal) or any other vegetable you might want to eat. I served it once with fresh broccoli in cream (home-made; I’ll post the recipe soon) and found the resulting meal wonderfully balanced and tasty. 
Bon appétit, and don’t work too hard! 

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget