Wednesday, 21 March 2012

Almond-Cheesecake



I tried another of my Viennese baking recipes that I found in my “Wiener Backbuch” (more than 400 pages) and was astounded by several things: a) how little sugar and butter was needed (as Austrian cake recipes go, you put on 1 kilo by only reading it!); and b) how easy this one turned out – and how fluffy and delicious! It’s basically just a cheesecake but with additional ground almonds which make it a bit more “compact”. In fact, I guess you could use this cake as a base for more elaborate cakes; you could add fruits on top, or a fluffier curd cream. I will try other variants and keep you posted. For now, let’s get started.

What you need: 
  • 100 g of butter 
  • 8 g of vanilla sugar 
  • 100 g of sugar 
  • 6 eggs 
  • 140 g of curd (20% of fat) 
  • 100 g of ground almonds 
  • 1 tablespoonful of flour 
  • Some baking powder 
How to proceed: 
  • Preheat your oven, medium temperature (I love those precise indications in this book! I mean, I’m not a star-reader nor a fortune-teller!), which will be 180-200°C I gather. 
  • First of all, take the butter out of your fridge some time before starting the cake. I insist because I’m so proud of me: I remembered this time! Took it out even before I went to the supermarket so, once I started preparing, the butter was perfectly mellow. 
  • Mix the butter until foamy. 
  • Sift your vanilla sugar with the sugar and mix it in. 
  • By and by, you add the 6 egg yolks, then the curd. 
  • At last, you delicately add the stiff egg whites, the ground almonds, the tablespoonful of flour and a little bit of baking powder. The Austrian recipe says “the tip of a knife full”, which means you take a knife, use it like a spoon, and only add as much as stays on its tip. Which means, well, a little bit. 
  • You butter your cake dish and fill in the mixture. 
  • Bake the cake for 40 minutes. 
  • Before you serve it, add some sugar dust in top of your cake. 
Simply delicious and not too sweet, so you can add some whipped cream too without having a bad conscience. Prepare yourself a nice cup of coffee and enjoy this nice, unpretentious yet light and yummy cake.  
Bon appétit! 

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget