Tuesday, 1 May 2012

Roast Beef with a Spicy Crust



Dear me, dear me, I haven’t been posting for more than two weeks! Allow me to offer my humblest apologies; it’s that I hardly remember my name after all those crazy working days! Don’t ask me why but everybody seems to have decided to launch a new product, a new campaign, but with no idea of what exactly to promote or what to launch. Utter chaos was the logical result. Thus I didn’t cook much, and those who don’t cook have nothing to post about, right?

But today, I’ll show you how to prepare a wonderful dish; not too difficult and ever so yummy! I’m talking about my fabulous Roast Beef with a Spicy Crust. FYI, I decided to prepare this recipe because I had some Topside in the freezer (a rather low-fat part of the Round for my American readers), a nice slice that I had originally bought for a Fondue Bourguignonne (this consists of a fondue pot filled with hot oil into which you dip pieces of meat to cook them; various sauces are provided on the side). Yet I wanted to innovate, hence the idea to roast it this way.

What you need: 
  • 1,5 kg of beef 
  • 3-4 slices of (fat) bacon (depends on the piece of beef you’ll use) 
  • 1 spicy little chili pepper (preferably from the Antilles for they are not only very spicy but also very tasteful) 
  • 2 tomatoes 
  • Cumin 
  • Paprika 
  • 3-4 garlic cloves, chopped 
  • Olive oil 
How to proceed: 
  • As I used a very low-fat piece of beef, I had to ensure it wouldn’t dry out while roasting. So I had to bard it with 3-4 slice of rather fat bacon. 
  • For the marinade/crust: cut your spicy chili pepper and your tomatoes. Place them in a food processor and chop. Add some olive oil until you achieve a nice, thick chili pepper paste. 
  • Pour ½ l of olive oil into an airtight dish. 
  • Add the paste. 
  • Add some cumin, paprika and the chopped garlic cloves. 
  • Put the beef into the marinade; turn and toss it until all the sides are coated with the paste. 
  • Close the dish and place in the fridge for 12h. 
  • After 12h, you preheat your oven (150°C). 
  • Filter the marinade, try to retrieve as much paste as you can. 
  • Put the beef in an oven safe plate. 
  • Smear the retrieved paste over the beef. 
  • Drizzle some of the filtered oil over it. 
  • Roast the beef for 15 minutes; return it and continue roasting it for another 15 minutes. Or less if you like your beef less cooked, of course. 
I served this delicious dish with roast potatoes but you can choose other vegetables or a side-helping of salad as well. The Roast Beef was spicy but no too much, and the taste of that little devil from the Antilles underlined the perfect quality of the beef (Topside is one of the best low-fat pieces).  
Bon appétit! 

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget