Well, we haven’t had much of a spring this year, but summer has arrived with blazing sun, blue sky and sizzling temperatures. This is no weather for heavy cakes. This is no weather for baking, to start with. It’s already quite hot in the kitchen, so imagine you add the oven’s heat! No, no way.
Anyway, there are plenty of light and fresh summer dessert recipes. So I’m gonna share the recipe for a very easy-to-prepare Peach Charlotte with you. FYI (but you surely know this already), a Charlotte, according to wikipedia, is “a type of dessert that […] can also be known as an “ice-box cake”. Bread, sponge cake or biscuits/cookies are used to line a mold, which is then filled with a fruit puree or custard. […] Classically, stale bread dipped in butter was used as the lining, but sponge cake or ladyfingers may be used today. The filling may be covered with a thin layer of similarly flavoured gelatin.”
As desserts normally go in my household, this one didn’t last long. And I’ll wager it won’t in yours either!
What you need:
- Approx. 24-32 ladyfingers (provide rather more of them than not enough!)
- 20 cl of liquid cream
- 2 small bags of vanilla sugar
- 1 big tin of peaches in syrup
- 1 Charlotte mold
- Open the tin of peaches and empty it into a bowl.
- Fish out the peaches, cut them into little cubes. Don’t throw away the syrup!
- Prepare the whipped cream before stirring in the vanilla sugar.
- Dip each ladyfinger briefly in the peach syrup.
- Place the first ones at the bottom of your mold. Try to arrange them in a regular pattern.
- Then place the following ladyfingers on the mold’s sides, in a regular and tight pattern.
- Then, fill in a layer of peaches – a layer of whipped cream – a layer of peaches – a layer of whipped cream, and so on.
- Finish the cake with a last, regular and tight layer of soaked ladyfingers.
- Cover with a plate. It has to have the right shape because it should press the whole preparation. If some of the cream comes oozing out at the top, well, that’s too bad! You’ll have to wipe it off with your finger, which will allow you to taste the cream without feeling naughty ;-)