Sunday, 4 November 2012

Red Chicken Curry with Lentils



I'm awfully sorry to have interrupted my regular posts over here. I have been so busy at work and preparing my new book (in three languages, mind you - that's a whole lot of work, believe me!). If course, I have been cooking and eating during all these months. I just didn't find the time to take pictures or write recipes.

Now, this is a recipe I prepared only yesterday. Easy to make, tasty, a teensie bit spicy. You can leave out the chicken and surprise your vegetarian or even vegan friends with a perfectly healthy dinner.

By the way, I've taken the picture with my iPad and without flash so the quality might be a bit poorer than usually. Oh, and you'll have to make do with a photo of the pot this time - I love to mix the rice and the curry in my plate so the result is, well, let's say only remotely photogenic ;-))

What you need: 
  • Red curry paste (approx. 70 g)
  • A can of coconut milk
  • 1 glass of dried lentils
  • 2 carrots
  • Some broth (1 stock cube will do)
  • 4 chicken breasts (if you opt for the non-vegetarian version)
  • Salt, pepper, turmeric powder, ginger powder
  • Olive oil
How to proceed: 
  • Slice the carrots.
  • For the non-vegetarian version, dice the chicken breasts.
  • Boil one glass of dried lentils in three glasses of water (25-30 minutes) with the stock cube and the carrot slices.
  • Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a pan.
  • Stir-fry the chicken, add salt, pepper, a pinch of turmeric powder, a pinch of ginger powder.
  • When the chicken is golden, add the red curry paste and stir-fry until the paste's rich scent fills your kitchen. 
  • Add the coconut milk, stir.
  • Add the lentils and carrots (if the broth hasn't disappeared entirely, don't worry - this will lend an even tastier flavour to the dish). 
  • Let it simmer for 15 minutes. If you bring the water for the rice to a boil right now, it'll be perfect.
  • Serve with rice and, why not, a nice mango chutney.
Even if you don't add the chicken, this is a tasty dish full of proteins. Moreover, you'll get a big load of fibers and vitamin B1 and iron, amongst other minerals. And you won't spend hours in the kitchen preparing this one, either!  
Bon app├ętit!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget