Monday, 20 May 2013

Pide (Turkish Pizza)


Hey, I’m back! And it’s about time, I’d say. I’ve been very busy lately and haven’t found time to blog a lot. But now I’ve simply taken the time and even did a complete blog make-over – tidied up its look and even changed its name! It’s simply “Dieter in the kitchen” from now on. 

Well, it’s Monday, and I have a day off, which explains I have enough time to work on this blog. It’s really shitty weather outside (pardon my French), rainy and windy and rather cold. But we didn’t have much of a spring up until now, anyway, so I guess I shouldn’t complain. To get into a better, pre-summery mood, I will prepare a nice Mediterranean dish for you: the pide, a sort of traditional Turkish pizza. The fact to write about it already makes my mouth water. So, without further ado, here’s the recipe. 

What you need: 
To prepare the dough: 
  • 600 g of flour 
  • 1 pinch of salt 
  • 100 ml of warm milk 
  • 200 ml of warm water 
  • 1 small bag of yeast 
  • ½ teaspoon of sugar 
For the meat topping: 
  • 500 g of minced beef 
  • 2 tomatoes 
  • 2 little bell peppers 
  • 2 little onions 
  • 2 teaspoons of tomato puree 
  • 2 teaspoons of oregano 
  • 1 teaspoon of salt 
  • 4 teaspoons of flat-leaved parsley 
  • 1 teaspoon of paprika 
  • 1 egg 
  • Some olive oil
How to proceed: 
  • Mix the warm milk, water, sugar and yeast (neither cold nor hot water and milk will do because both would kill the little fungus of which yeast basically consists – and you need these little devils to be well alive if you want your dough to rise). 
  • Let the dough rest for ten minutes until the yeast reacts (you should see bubbles on the surface). 
  • In a big bowl, pour the flour and salt, then add your “yeasty beast”. 
  • Knead until you have a nice, smooth dough (my tip: you know you’re getting there when the dough stops sticking to your fingers and to the bowl; if it doesn’t, simply add some more flour – or ask someone to help you as you’ll have, well, sticky fingers, lol). 
  • Cover the bowl and let the dough rise (approx. 40 minutes in a warm place). 
  • In the meantime, prepare the “topping”. Start by chopping the tomatoes, bell peppers, onions and parsley. 
  • Add the minced beef, the spices, the tomato puree, and mix everything nicely. 
  • After 40 minutes, the dough should be twice the size it was before. Cut it in 4 parts of the same size (for 4 pides). 
  • Preheat your oven for 10 minutes at 220°C. 
  • With a pastry roller, spread out each part in an oval shape (not too thick, not too thin – I’d say 1-2 cm). 
  • Place each pide on the baking tray on which you’ll have drizzled some oil before. 
  • Spread the meat topping on each pide
  • Scramble your egg. 
  • Fold up the brims of the pides and spread some egg on them (for a nice and golden crust). 
  • Put the pides in the oven and cook them for 20 minutes in its upper section. 
Serve the pides hot, with a side helping of green salad or even a bowl of Greek salad.
Glad to be back amongst you, my dear friends. Please don’t hesitate to let me know what you think of my new Food Blog – I’m always very excited to hear from you!
Bon app├ętit!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget