Saturday, 15 June 2013

Rotweingugelhupf (Austrian Red Wine Cake)

No wonder my belly has been growing out of proportion, slowly but surely, ever since I’ve passed my 40th birthday. It’s all my mom’s fault. Back when I left Austria, she gave me a little book with Austrian cake recipes. And they all just sound so delicious that I have to try them out, one by one. As Austrian sweets and cakes go, that means an explosion of calories as we tend to use quite a lot of sugar and quite a lot of butter. If you want to start a diet, pass your way—do not read, let alone try this recipe! Do not even look at the photo because that action alone will make you grow fat… 

What you need: 
  • 250 g of butter 
  • 300 g of sugar 
  • 1 sachet of vanilla sugar 
  • 1 sachet of baking powder 
  • 3 eggs 
  • ¼ l of red wine 
  • 380 g of flour 
  • 150 g of grated walnuts 
  • 1 teaspoon of cinnamon 
  • 150 g of chocolate 
How to proceed: 
  • Make sure the butter is not too hard by leaving it in a warm place overnight. 
  • Sift flour and baking powder. 
  • Melt the chocolate (I didn’t melt it entirely because I wanted to have some whole chocolate chunks in my cake). 
  • Beat the egg whites until very stiff. 
  • Beat butter, sugar, vanilla sugar and egg yolks until fluffy. 
  • Add half of the red wine, then the flour and baking powder as well as the grated walnuts. 
  • Add the teaspoon of cinnamon and the melted chocolate. 
  • Add the rest of the red wine. 
  • Mix thoroughly. 
  • Gently fold in the beaten egg whites. 
  • Butter a Bundt cake pan, dust it with flour. 
  • Pour the dough in. 
  • Bake at medium heat (200°C) for 80 minutes or until knife comes out clean. 
Serve the cake covered with icing sugar. It will be fluffy yet rich (thanks to the chocolate and butter), with a discreet taste of cinnamon (we add only a teaspoon so the taste is there but not overwhelmingly so) and a light aftertaste of red wine. Simply delicious, this cake will be eaten in no time by your guests or, if you’re as sweet-toothed as I am, by yourself! Bon app├ętit!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget