Monday, 22 July 2013

Blueberry Cake


Three years ago, while we spent our holidays at my mother’s in Austria, we all made a hiking trip: my mom, one of her friends, my sis, Séb and I. And on our way back to the car, we passed through a mountain forest. And there, right in the middle of fir trees and moss and fern, we stumbled upon a spot of fabulous blueberries. Of course, we immediately bent down to gather as many berries as we could, and my mom made us a fantastic blueberry cake afterwards. This weekend, I had that strange, almost nostalgic craving for mom’s blueberry cake. I was very lucky as they sold some very nice ones at the local supermarket, so I bought a bunch of them and baked my very first blueberry cake. A huge success! You can use huckleberries as well; they would be a bit more acid and soften the sugary impact for those who don’t like their desserts to be too sweet (which is not my case). 

What you need: 
  • 8 eggs 
  • 210 g of butter 
  • 240 g of sugar 
  • 1 pinch of salt 
  • 1 sachet of baking powder 
  • 240 g of flour 
  • Breadcrumbs 
  • 500 g of blueberries 
  • 300 g of dust sugar 
How to proceed: 
  • Make sure you have taken the butter out of the fridge in time; it has to be mellow. 
  • Set the egg whites aside. 
  • Mix the yolks, the butter and the 240 g of sugar until fluffy. 
  • Add a pinch of salt. 
  • Add the sifted flour and baking powder. 
  • Cover your baking plate with baking paper, or grease it with some butter. Spread the mixture on the plate. 
  • Bake it for ½ hour at 180°C. 
  • Wash the berries. 
  • Beat the egg whites with 300 g of dust sugar until stiff. 
  • Spread some breadcrumbs on the baked mixture, then place the berries. 
  • Spread the stiff egg whites on top. 
  • Bake for another 10 minutes at least, until the icing gets slightly brown. 
Let the cake cool down, cut yourself a nice, big slice and… enjoy! A pure feast for anyone who likes cakes and berries as much as I do! Bon appétit!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget